An advisor is assisting two students.

Academic Advising

All HBU students should become familiar with their advisor and the advising process. Academic Advisors are faculty or staff members who can help students navigate degree requirements, counsel students on all academic matters and broad career and vocational interests, and provide referrals to campus resources.

Students must meet with their assigned Academic Advisor each semester prior to registration for the subsequent semester. All advisees are expected to avail themselves of these mentoring services in order to graduate from HBU in a timely manner since the student is ultimately held responsible for fulfilling his or her degree plan requirements.

For questions about the advising process, please e-mail

The Advising Process

The advising process at HBU is designed to help the student make important decisions related to academic and career progress. Below are some guidelines to follow to make the advising process a successful part of the HBU experience.

  • Students may see their Academic Advisor to:

    o Discuss academic successes or issues that may affect academic progress

    o Select courses for each semester

    o Consider a change of major or minor

    o File a degree plan

    o Discuss educational and career goals

    o Provide personal encouragement and support

  • The advisor’s responsibility to the student is to:

    o Listen and help solve problems regarding academic or career issues

    o Aid in selecting appropriate courses each semester

    o Serve as a reference to appropriate campus resources

    o Assist the student in attaining educational and career goals

  • The student’s responsibility to the advisor is to:

    o Come to the advising session prepared and ready to ask questions

    o Be knowledgeable about HBU academic policies and procedures

    o Schedule appointments with advisors

    o Keep scheduled appointments on time or cancel in advance

    o Accept responsibility for academic decisions

    o Seek assistance before experiencing academic difficulty

Incoming First-Year Students

This is for students who have been admitted to HBU, but have not started their Fall semester.

  • Who is my advisor?

    Your official advisor will be assigned in mid-August. After that time you will be able to view them through the Portal via the “Navigate” icon. If you have questions in the meantime, please contact

  • How is AP, IB or CLEP credit awarded?

    1. Student requests that official test scores are sent to HBU, either at the time of exam registration or post-exam through the appropriate testing agency.
    2. Once received by HBU, if a score is sufficient for credit according to the “Credit by Examination” section of the course catalog, the score will be entered into SOATEST in Banner. This allows the advisor to see whether a student can be awarded credit, but credit is not actually posted on the student’s transcript yet. Insufficient scores will not be entered into SOATEST.
    3. After a student has enrolled in classes, they will need to see Vivian West in the Registrar’s office to fill out the “Request for Credit by Examination Form”.
    4. If the student has filed the appropriate form, credit is posted to the student’s transcript after they have successfully completed 12 hours at HBU and have earned a minimum 2.0 HBU GPA (transfer hours and transfer GPA do not apply).


    Vivian West / / (281) 649-3745 / Brown 154

© 2018 Student Success