- Course Specific Tutoring : offered in 90 courses in person and online.*
- Writing Tutoring : offered in person and online. *
- Graduate Tutoring : offered in course specific and writing, along with in person and online.*
- Academic Coaching: 15-30 minute weekly sessions that assist with time management and study skills.
- Supplemental Instruction: study sessions led by a upper-classmen peer who attends class lecture and takes notes.
- ELL (English Language Learners)/Reading Comprehension: assistance in learning reading and writing strategies for the English language.
- Test Reviews: 2-hour reviews at the request of the professor before a major test.
- Workshops: focusing on high need areas.
*Walk-In Hours Available
Become A Tutor
We are so excited you are considering applying to be a member of our tutoring staff! Please see answers below to some commonly asked questions you may have.
What are the requirements to tutor?
- Completion of the course(s) you wish to tutor here at HBU (except in some cases if you started with higher level courses)
- An A in the course(s)
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0
What is expected of me as a tutor?
- A desire to help other students
- Ethical and responsible character
- Good communication skills
- A commitment to maintain confidentiality at all times
- That you will model and share skills in time management, professionalism, and study habits
- The ability to assist students’ learning without doing the work for them
- Careful record keeping of all tutoring appointments
What hours do I need to work?
- You set your own schedule according to the schedule of the library- including evenings and weekends. You can let us know the hours you are available and you will only need to come in when you have an appointment.
Will I receive any training?
- Yes. You will complete an initial training before you begin tutoring and will keep a tutor manual that covers tutoring strategies and techniques. Additional trainings will be scheduled as needed.
Will I be paid?
- Yes! You will be paid $7.25 an hour for the hours you actually work, not the hours you are available. After you complete Level 1 training, you will be promoted to $8.25 an hour.
How do I apply?
- Please fill out the online application.
- Please also ask an HBU professor in each subject you wish to tutor to submit a letter of recommendation to email@example.com
- If a position is open in your subject(s), you will be contacted for an interview. Otherwise, your application will be held until a position becomes available.
When can I apply?
- Anytime! We hire tutors as student needs arise, so a position could be open at any point in the semester.