Music Audition Information
Audition Dates for Fall 2019 Admission
Friday, January 25, 4:00 pm
Friday, February 22, 4:00 pm
Friday, April 26, 4:00 pm
All auditions take place in Belin Chapel, located within the Morris Cultural Arts Center.
In the event you are unable to audition on one of these dates, please call 281-649-3027 or email TJohnson@hbu.edu to schedule a private audition.
For the audition:
Two ‘classical’ pieces of contrasting styles – selections from the standard classical repertoire.
- Voice students should sing at least one piece in a foreign language (a language other than English), and both from memory. A pianist will be provided.
- Keyboard students should prepare at least two memorized selections from the standard classical repertoire. The selections should be representative of the student’s technical and musical proficiency, and should represent contrasting musical periods and styles. A brief interview and some assessment of sight-reading skills will accompany the audition. For out-of-state candidates, a preliminary audition video is acceptable.
- Organ students may audition on either the organ or piano. Music may be used. Students should prepare at least two selections from the standard classical repertoire. Prepare a hymn. You also will be asked to sight-read.
- Wind Instrumental students should prepare at least two standard pieces of repertoire for their instrument, along with major and minor scales. A brief assessment of sight-reading skills will accompany the audition. For out-of-state candidates, an audition video will be acceptable.
- Percussion Instrumental students should prepare two standard pieces of repertoire for snare, timpani, and mallet percussion. In addition to the standard pieces, major and minor scales should be prepared, and a brief assessment of sight-reading will accompany the audition. For out-of-state candidates an audition video will be acceptable.
- Students wishing to major or minor in music are admitted to the School of Music by audition only.
- Bachelor of Music – Vocal Performance
- Bachelor of Music – Organ Performance
- Bachelor of Music – Piano Performance
- Bachelor of Music Education – Voice
- Bachelor of Music Education – Piano
- Bachelor of Music Education – Organ
- Bachelor of Music Education – Instrumental
- Bachelor of Arts
- Awarded to qualifying students following the auditions
- All scholarships are renewable for four (4) years
- Recipients must maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0
- Show progress in their applied major performance area
- Fulfill the requirements for ensemble participation and performance