This Week's Review: "Mission Impossible: Fallout"

I have to confess that “Mission Impossible: Fallout” was much more enjoyable than I could ever have expected. I was prepared to make all sorts of snarky comments about an aging actor trying to make the audience believe he is still in his 20s or early 30s, but I didn’t have to suspend too much misbelief. This sixth installment may be one of the best of the series.

There is considerable homage to the original television series; I’m more than old enough to remember watching the first episode and being astonished at some of the tricks. Most of the special effects in the television version look worse than cheesy these days, but the film series has never skimped on explosions or other visual tricks. I saw the 3-D version and I was on the edge of my seat most of the time.

The new film is not only a direct sequel to the previous installment, but it also wraps up some major plot threads; one character who has not been seen since the third film in the series plays a major role in the last half of the film. (There are rumors that this may be the last film in the series, but I have my doubts about that.) It doesn’t hurt if you have forgotten the fifth film.

I won’t say that any of the cast will be up for Oscar nominations, but they hold their own.

All in all, the film is worth seeing just for the stunts.