This Week's Review: Deadpool

I wasted my Saturday morning on February 13 with one of the worst films in my recent memory.  I was shocked when I learned later that Deadpool (or Dead Pool) set box office records.  I had been warned that it was bad, but I had no idea how awful it would be. it’s R rating is an understatement; NC-17 would be too generous for this pile of garbage.

The major character is supposed to an immortal anti-hero.  Instead, he’s a foul-mouth psychopath who could give Norman Bates a bad name.  Ryan Reynolds is the one behind the mask and he should be ashamed of himself.  Stan Lee should also be ashamed of his cameo role.  Two X-Men are in this film and they, at least, are immune from the grossness.

I have been aware that Marvel Comics had such a character in its arsenal and I knew that he is popular, but I have never read a story with this character in it.  I find it hard to believe that this kind of garbage is derived from a comic book, but I can’t be certain.  There is a teaser after the credits that states there will be a sequel.  Another X-Man, Cable, is supposed to appear, but that isn’t enough to drag me out of my house.

Need I say it?  Not recommended for anyone.