- Professor of Philosophy
- PhD, Philosophy, Notre Dame
- STM, Yale Divinity School
- MDiv, Princeton Seminary
- BA, Religion and Philosophy, Houghton College
- Intro to Philosophy
- Philosophy of Religion
- Suffering, Tragedy and Christian Faith
- Faith, Reason and Christian Belief
- Christian Apologetics
- CS Lewis
- Postmodernism and Pop Culture
- The Concept of Self and the Meaning of Life
Dr. Walls’s primary teaching focus is philosophy of religion, ethics and Christian apologetics.
He has authored, co-authored, edited or co-edited a dozen books and over eighty articles and reviews. Among these is a trilogy on the afterlife, namely: Hell: The Logic of Damnation (University of Notre Dame Press, 1992); Heaven: The Logic of Eternal Joy (Oxford University Press, 2002); Purgatory: The Logic of Total Transformation (Oxford University Press, 2011).
Awards and Honors
He won First Place in the Poetry Division of the National Christianity and Literature Writing Contest as an undergraduate. He has appeared several times as a guest on National Public Radio, and as a guest on the TV show “Faith Under Fire.” He was recently awarded a Research Fellowship by the Center for Philosophy of Religion at Notre Dame.