- President, Christian Thinkers Society
- Special Assistant to President
- Associate Professor of Early Christianity
- PhD, New Testament Studies, Middlesex University/Oxford Centre for Mission Studies
- MA, Theology, Acadia University
- MDiv, Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- BA, Biblical Studies, Midwestern Baptist College
- Visiting PhD Scholars Program – Yale Divinity School, Yale University
Courses taught include: (list is representative and not exhaustive)
- Contemporary Portraits of Jesus
- The Jesus of the Bible and Popular Culture
- The Life and Teachings of Jesus
- Jesus and the Synoptic Gospels, miracles and supernatural
- The Gospel of Luke
- James/Hebrews: The Jewish-Christian Gospels
- The Dead Sea Scrolls
- New Testament Survey
- Extra-Canonical Gospels
- Polymorphic Christology and Imagination
- Media Integration and Scholarship
- The Practice of Leadership in Contemporary Ministry
Dr. Johnston’s primary teaching focus is the New Testament, Extra-canonical gospels, and Apologetics. His wider area of specialization, research and publication include the Gospel of Peter, the Acts of Pilate, the Life of Jesus and the Apostles, Historical Jesus studies, Resurrection and other afterlife beliefs in the Greco-Roman world, Synoptic Gospels, Dead Sea Scrolls, and Scriptural Intertextuality.
- Co-Series Editor with Craig A. Evans, Searching the Scriptures: Studies in Context and Intertextuality (Studies in Scripture in Early Judaism and Christianity 19; London and New York: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2015).
- “Resurrection,” in The Oxford Encyclopedia of Bible and Ethics, edited by Robert Brawley (Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2014).
- “Kingdom of God/Heaven,” in The Oxford Encyclopedia of Bible and Theology, edited by Samuel E. Balentine et al. (Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2014)
- “Intertestamental Backdrop to the Later Development of the Christian Sacraments,” in The Oxford Handbook of Sacramental Theology, edited by Han Boersma (Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2015)
- “Kingdom of God,” in Encyclopedia of Early Christianity, edited by Paul J.J. van Geest, Bert Jan Lietaert Peerbolte, David Hunter (Leiden: Brill, 2015)
- “Biblical-Theological Issues,” in The Testimony of the Spirit: New Essays, to be published by Oxford University Press, edited by Doug Geivett and Paul Moser (Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2015).
- The Resurrection of Jesus in the Gospel of Peter: A Tradition-Historical Study of the Akhmîm Gospel Fragment (unpublished doctoral dissertation; London: Middlesex University, 2013). Currently under review for publication.
- “Modern Day Martyrs: A Non-Christian’s Chronicle of China’s Dark Side,” Christian Research Journal 35 (2012) 60.
- “The Gospel of Peter: The Importance of a North African Discovery,” Sapientia Logos 3 (2011) 183-215
A New Testament scholar and apologist, Dr. Johnston speaks on university campuses, and at churches and popular venues. His passion is equipping Christians to give intellectually informed accounts of what they believe in the public sphere and what impact those answers make in the betterment of society. Dr. Johnston is also the founder of the Christian Thinkers Society (CTS), which aims to “teach pastors and Christians how to become thinkers and thinkers how to become Christians. ” CTS has entered into an exclusive university affiliation agreement with HBU and collaborates with the University on various initiatives. The partnership is both strategic and natural, because the interests and strengths of the two organizations are so well aligned: CTS is known in apologetic circles for producing lively and informative interviews, symposiums, and broadcasts with the world’s brightest thinkers speaking to issues of faith, culture, and society. HBU is fast gaining a reputation as a premiere academic center for Christian philosophy and apologetics. Together, HBU and CTS will conduct conferences around the world featuring prominent culture influencers, Christian leaders, and scholars, several of whom are HBU professors. The conferences will address the most pertinent Christian apologetic issues of the day. For information about Dr. Johnston, the Christian Thinkers Society or to inquire about hosting an event in your area please visit ChristianThinkers.com, the CTS Facebook page at facebook.com/ChristianThinkersSociety, or follow him on twitter @_jeremiahj