Alternative Certification Program Scholarships
What scholarships are available?
- The Adelante Scholarship is available for postbaccalaureate students seeking teacher certification in bilingual education
What are the qualifications?
- Holds a bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent)
- Accepted into HBU’s Alternative Certification Program
- Declared intention to earn Bilingual Education certification
- Demonstrates a high degree of motivation to become a Bilingual Education or ESL teacher
- Demonstrates personal potential for successful BE or ESL teaching
- Proficient in Spanish
What opportunities will students have that they could not without the program?
- 50% of tuition for six credit hours each semester for three semesters
- Workshops to help you prepare for teacher certification exams
- Eligible for reimbursement of certification exam fees*
- Eligible for reimbursement of certification application fees**
- Stipend for textbooks
What can I do after the program?
- Upon completing the coursework and passing certification examinations, you will be employable as a teacher in the state of Texas
- Starting salary for teachers in the Houston area is $50,000 on average
- Bilingual education teachers are highly recruited by districts
- Houston-area school districts pay certified bilingual education teachers annual stipends of $3,000-$5,000
How do I get started with the program?
What do I need to do to become BE Certified?
- 1. Complete 18-24 hours of graduate coursework
- 2. Pass Texas Educator Initial Certification Examinations
- 3. Pass Supplemental Certification Examinations in BE
*Bilingual Education: up to $390; Fees set by TEA/ETS and are subject to change
**Currently $75.00; Fees set by TEA and are subject to change