MAP-LSSP: Master of Arts in Psychology – Licensed Specialist in School Psychology
The MAP-LSSP program prepares students to meet the psycho-educational and socio-emotional needs of children and adolescents. Students learn how to apply theoretical knowledge in the assessment, intervention and consultation for psychological problems that take place within a public school setting. Although the emphasis is on preparing clinicians to work at schools, the training provided is appropriate for agencies and facilities that address the behavioral and emotional needs of children.
Graduates of the MAP-LSSP are eligible to apply to the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists (TSBEP) for the LSSP and for licensure as a Psychological Associate (LPA) As part of the application process for the LSSP, students must do the following: (1) complete a 1200 hour internship under the supervision of a licensed school psychologist or LSSP-Supervisor; (2) obtain a score of at least 165 on the National School Psychology Exam (Praxis); and (3) pass a jurisprudence (state law) take-home exam at 90%.
Are you a school counselor or educational diagnostician? You may be halfway through your coursework leading to LSSP. Find out more information on our LSSP respecialization program.
Advantages and Opportunities
An added benefit of the MAP-LSSP program is that the coursework meets the requirements for licensure as a Professional Counselor (LPC). Graduates can make application to the TSBEP and Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors (TSBEPC), respectively.
Top Ten Reasons to Attend HBU’s MAP-LSSP Program
- The Christian environment at Houston Baptist University affirms all persons in and out of the classroom and facilitates high standards in one’s personal code of conduct.
- The convenience and flexibility of course offerings make it possible for students to work full-time and still carry a full-time course load.
- There is a low student/professor ratio which allows for students to receive individual attention and mentoring
- The Program meets the Texas State Board of Examiners in Psychology (TSBEP) requirements for licensure as a Licensed Specialist in School Psychology.
- The Program meets the TSBEP requirements for licensure as a Licensed Psychological Associate.
- The Program meets the Texas State Board of Examiners for Professional Counselors (TSBEPC) requirements for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor.
- The courses are taught by doctoral level professors and professionals in the field of psychology
- Students who are admitted to the program are assigned mentors who are LSSPs to guide them through the process of preparing for their career choice
- HBU’s beautiful, serene campus is nestled within a flourishing international city
- The program is designed to value, appreciate and develop students’ unique gifts and talents