Master of Arts in Counseling (MAC)
Leading to Licensure as a Professional Counselor
Graduates of this program are eligible to apply for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in the state of Texas. Before becoming an LPC, graduates need to pass the National Counselor Exam, Texas Jurisprudence Exam, and complete a 3000 hour internship under the supervision of an LPC-S.
This degree program is 49 hours of graduate coursework. Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0, complete all courses with a grade of “C” or higher, be admitted to candidacy, and satisfactorily complete an oral comprehensive examination.
*Additional Application Requirements*
In accordance with best practices in the field of psychology/counseling, applicants who meet the requirements specified by the graduate school will be invited to an in-person interview. These interviews are typically held about once per month and may take up to 4 hours depending on the applicant pool. Interview spaces are limited and will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis; therefore, we encourage you to apply early. We remind you to turn in your application before the deadline set for the semester to which you are applying.
Click to view DEGREE PLAN
Advantages and Opportunities
Graduates go on to work in a variety of settings, including private practices, universities, clinics and hospitals. Other graduates have completed doctoral study in psychology at leading research universities across the country.
Top Ten Reasons to Attend HBU’s MAC Programs
- 100% pass rate on National Counselor’s Exam on the first attempt for nine years running.
- Every course in our program is geared specifically for creating highly skilled professional counselors.
- Don’t just learn about research like in many counseling programs – complete a presentable/publishable research project if you choose to!
- Dedicated full time faculty who actually believe in the open door policy.
- Wide range of adjunct faculty whose day-jobs are practicing in the fields our students want to join – instant networking and real-life experiences to share.
- Practicum sites across the city and across the spectrum of possible careers (e.g., churches, private practices, hospitals, prisons, community mental health, counseling centers).
- Or create your own practicum!
- Small classes – 5-25 students – so there’s always time and space for us to prioritize your learning.
- Classes are offered in the evenings, to accommodate full-time workers.
- You’re never just a number – every student is individually advised and individually valued!