MACC: Master of Arts in Christian Counseling
Leading to licensure as a Professional Counselor.
The Master of Arts in Christian Counseling (MACC) program is designed to provide graduate coursework to those seeking to integrate their Christian faith with sound clinical practice in counseling. The program emphasizes the development of research supported counseling skills while encouraging students to reflect on their personal values, and to grow in faith and maturity. The MACC program prepares students to work in churches, church-related institutions, Christian counseling clinics and in secular counseling facilities.
The coursework provided meets the academic requirements for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in the state of Texas. Students complete a practicum in a University-approved counseling setting under the supervision of a licensed psychologist or licensed professional counselor-supervisor (LPC-S), as part of the degree plan. Before becoming an LPC, graduates also need to pass the National Counselor Exam, Texas Jurisprudence Exam, and complete aninternship under the supervision of an LPC-S.
Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0, complete all courses with a grade of “C” or higher, be admitted to candidacy, and satisfactorily complete an oral comprehensive examination.
In accordance with best practices in the field of psychology/counseling, applicants who meet the requirements specified by the graduate school will be invited to an in-person interview. These interviews are typically held about once per month and may take up to 4 hours depending on the applicant pool. Interview spaces are limited and will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis; therefore, we encourage you to apply early. We remind you that your application must be completed before the deadline.
Advantages and Opportunities
The MACC program prepares students to work in churches, church-related institutions, Christian counseling clinics and in secular counseling facilities.
Top Ten Reasons to Attend HBU’s MACC Program
- 100% pass rate on National Counselor’s Exam on the first attempt for nine years running.
- Only regionally accredited institution offering Christian Counseling degree in the area.
- Dedicated full time faculty who actually believe in the open door policy.
- Wide range of adjunct faculty whose day-jobs are practicing in the fields our students want to join – instant networking and real-life experiences to share.
- Room to tailor your experience through electives – focus on religion, research, assessment etc.
- Practicum sites across the city and across the spectrum of possible careers (e.g., churches, private practices, hospitals, prisons, community mental health, counseling centers). Or create your own!
- Small classes – 5-25 students, in the evenings to accommodate full-time workers.
- Coursework prepares students to work in exclusively Christian settings, exclusively secular settings, and everywhere in between.
- You’re never just a number – every student is individually advised and individually valued!
- A place where faith, values, and psychology come together in conversation, classroom, and practical experiences.