Center for the Preparation of Professional Educators (CPPE)
The Center for Preparation of Professional Educators (CPPE) is an integral part of the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences.
CPPE provides numerous services for students seeking to become professional educators including:
- Providing information to individuals interested in becoming educators
- Assisting students during the process of applying for acceptance into the Houston Baptist University Educator Preparation Program (EPP)
- Coordinating field experience placements with university professors and area schools
- Providing students information regarding the Texas Examination of Educational Standards (TExES), practice materials, practice exams and review sessions
- Facilitating approvals for students to take the TExES and to create an account with the Texas Education Agency.
- How to Request a Service Record.
- Assisting students during the process of applying for clinical teaching and partnering with area schools to place clinical teachers. Undergraduate App – Graduate App.
- Preparing the Clinical Teaching Handbook
- Training clinical teachers’ supervisors and mentor teachers
- Providing information for students who have completed all of the requirements for certification to apply for certification in Texas
- Assisting with Early Childhood and Special Education Practicum
- Assisting students who have a grievance or complaint during participation in EPP
- Conducting surveys of employers and graduates to evaluate level of preparedness of graduates
HBU Testing Services in Moody Library
Applying for Admittance into the Educator Preparation Program (EPP)
Applications for admittance into EPP are due September 15, 2017 for Spring 2018 acceptance and February 16, 2018 for Fall 2018 acceptance.
- Undergraduate EPP Requirements and Process
- Undergraduates register for EPP Admittance on Taskstream
Applying for Placement into Clinical Teaching (formerly Student Teaching)
Applications for Clinical Teaching are due two semesters prior to the semester of clinical teaching. Applications are due on September 15, 2017 for clinical teaching placements in Fall 2018 and February 16, 2018 for clinical teaching placements in Spring 2019.
Clinical Teaching Applications
- Undergraduate Clinical Teaching Requirements and Process
- Undergraduate Clinical Teaching Application
- Graduate Clinical Teaching Requirements and Process
- Graduate Clinical Teaching Application
Clinical Teacher Mentor Training
TExES Preparation Materials
Reviews of Practice Exams are scheduled throughout the year and are open to all eligible HBU students.
EC-6 Bilingual Program candidates will take the Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test (BTLPT). Candidates can now find all test preparation materials for the Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test (BTLPT) Spanish (190) test in one place. A direct link to these resources has been added to the left-side navigation bar in the TExES section of the ETS TExES website at www.texes.ets.org/texes .
Candidates can also directly access information, as well as the most current preparation resources, for the new Core Subjects/Generalist EC–6 (291) and 4–8 (211) tests. A link can be found on the left-side navigation bar in the TExES section of the ETS TExES website at www.texes.ets.org/texes .
These tests are only open to HBU Education students who have been admitted into the HBU Education Program. A passing score (80% or above) on the Education Practice Exams satisfies the undergraduate degree requirement for Education Majors looking to complete EDUC 4100. These tests also qualify students to take state TExES exams for both undergraduates and graduate certifications.
Additional Information and Registration Information: Dates and times of exams and reviews are posted on the HBU Testing Website
Steps to Register for Practice Tests
- Student completes the Practice Test Approval form (Spring 2016 – Graduate Practice Test Approval – Undergraduate Practice-Test-Approval)
- Student submits completed form to HBU Education Faculty Advisor for approval and Faculty Advisor submits electronically to Testing Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student reviews the direction on the HBU Testing Service webpage for additional registration information, dates and times of exams at Testing Services.
Applying for Texas Educator Certification
Process for applying for standard certification, initial certification and additional certification, such as principal, school counselor, educational diagnostician, and master technology teacher should be completed after successful completion of coursework, graduation, and passing TExES required for the certification.
Applying for Practicum in Early Childhood and Special Education
Comments from Employers of Graduates of HBU’s Educator Preparation Program
Based on the 2011-2012 employer survey, (sample survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/employer_Houston_graduates), it was clearly evident that employees feel that graduates of the HBU School of Education are well prepared for employment and continue to demonstrate such levels of classroom performance after 1-5 years.
Comments from employers indicated that HBU graduates are:
When comparing HBU graduates to graduates of other universities, employers described our graduates as: