By Dr. Jim Harris
Sadly, this unfair advantage is readily available to all of us. What are we missing? What are we not recognizing?
It all begins with honestly assessing what leads you.
What Leads You?
To unleash our advantage, we must first recognize two glaring truths.
First, Satan leads the world of business. As soon as you leave the anointed, safe confines of your church, you immediately enter enemy territory. (John 12:31, Ephesians 2:1-5 & 6:12) The enemy bombards everyone in business, saved and unsaved, with the same thoughts, ideas, best practices, trends, and misguided wisdom. In his vicious, winner-take-all corporate environmental, he seeks to kill, steal and destroy anyone or any business he can (John 10:10) – especially those led by Christians. (1 Peter 5:8)
Second, within this enemy environment, it is incredibly easy for us to be misled – just like our unsaved competitors. Here are seven primary ways any believer in business can be misled.
- Head-led leaders crave reports, research, spreadsheets and critical thinking to make decisions.
- Money-led leaders allow everything financial (cash flow, profit margin, EBITDA, etc.) to drive decisions.
- Opportunity-led leaders jump at every open door as a sign that “This MUST be from the Lord.” They fix their sites on the next big break, strategic alliance, and every unexpected offering as a “divine appointment.”
- Pressure-led leaders claim to work better in emergency or crisis situation. They delay decisions until the very last second, often with fear and uncertainty.
- Feelings-led leaders constantly assess their emotions before making a move. “It just does not feel right” or “This feels REALLY good” are their decision-making criteria.
- Innovation-led leaders are enamored with the latest technology platform, upgrade, software, website design, marketing technique, or any other “cool” idea.
- Expert-led leaders quickly embrace the latest management fad or idea gleaned from a conference speaker, industry magazine, or business book. Their teams are often inundated with implementing new, hot, often irrelevant ideas.
These are the primary ways 95% or more of unsaved business leaders are led – by anything other than the Spirit or God.
The Frightening Reality
The frightening reality is that the vast majority of born-again, Holy Spirit filled business leaders are led by the exact same things. It is incredibly easy for us to get drawn being led by these very same methods. And when we do, we have no distinct competitive advantage for we battle within enemy territory only with our heads, feelings, and flesh.
Here is the good news: all believers have an often untapped, unlimited, all-powerful unfair advantage in business and in life – one they we can fully leverage to maximize our eternal kingdom impact.
Our Unfair Advantage
“For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. The Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God.” Romans 8:14 & 16
Believers in business who are led by the Spirit of God have within you the One who can:
- Direct your path (Proverbs 3:4-5)
- Help you and lives within you forever (John 14:16)
- Guide you in all truth (John 14:17 & 16:13a)
- Teach you all things (John 14:26a)
- Bring to your remembrance all things He said to you (John 14:26b)
- Tell you things to come (John 16:13b)
- Reveal to you the deep things of God (1 Corinthians 2:10)
- Freely give you all things (1 Corinthians 2:12)
- Offer you the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16)
The Greatest Business Decision You Can Make
The greatest business decision you will ever make is to purpose in your heart to always and only be led by the Holy Spirit in all you do as a leader.
You have the ultimate unfair advantage living within you. My prayer is for you to purpose in within their heart –from this day forward – to always and only #BeLed by the Holy Spirit.
Dr. Jim Harris is an international speaker, advisor, and coach to executives, entrepreneurs, and pastoral teams. An author of 14 award-winning books, his latest is Our Unfair Advantage: How to Unleash the Power of the Holy Spirit in Your Business. Learn more about his services and sign up for his weekly blog at www.DrJimHarris.com.