Government Grants

To qualify for the grants below, submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), listing HBU’s federal school code 003576.

Grant Amount Qualifications
Federal Pell Grant Awards range from $400 to $5,920 per academic year

This is the basic grant available to undergraduate students with demonstrated need who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree.  Funding comes from the federal government.  All degree-seeking undergraduates may apply.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant Annual maximum varies Undergraduates who demonstrate exceptional financial need are eligible.
Tuition Equalization Grant (TEG) Annual maximum varies Students must demonstrate need and be a Texas Resident. Students must enroll for at least 9 credit hours each semester. 1st year recipients must meet Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress to be eligible for renewal. 2nd year and after recipients must complete 24 hours with a 2.5 cumulative GPA to renew the award. Recipients of athletic scholarships or church vocations scholarships are not eligible for the TEG.
Teach Grant Up to $4,000 per academic year Teach Grants provide conditional grant money to students who agree to teach in certain high need subjects in low income schools. The grant does convert to a Direct Unsubsidized loan for those who do not fulfill the teaching obligation. Students must complete a TEACH Grant agreement to serve and counseling each year and exit counseling when students are no longer enrolled as a half-time student. Contact the HBU School of Education for details.
Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used

The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds a student may receive over his or her lifetime is limited by a federal law effective to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. Since the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding a student can receive each year is equal to 100%, the six-year equivalent is 600%. The U.S. Department of Education keeps track of your Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) by adding together the percentages of your Pell Grant scheduled awards that you received for each award year. The information regarding your eligibility used is indicated annually on your Student Aid Report (SAR) which is sent to you after the completion of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

© 2018 Admissions