Houston Baptist University’s Financial Aid and Scholarships Office awards federal non-need based Direct Unsubsidized Loans in the student’s initial award package. Sometimes students may have a gap in their cost of attendance and all other aid so they may need to pursue other lending sources. Students are strongly encouraged to request the federal and state loan options that may be available to them before applying for private loans.
Selecting a lender is the most important choice you need to make before you can begin applying for a private loan. Below is an alphabetical listing of private lenders that we have researched through a Request for Information (RFI) process however you are not limited in your selection to the lenders listed. If you do not see your choice, please contact your preferred lender to obtain their lender code and notify our office of your selection before you complete the lender’s application process. The choice of lender is entirely yours so your selection should be made after careful research of which lender suits your needs and offers the lowest rates possible.
- Discover: www.discoverstudentloans.com
- PNC Education Loan Center: www.pnconcampus.com
- Sallie Mae: www.salliemae.com/HBU
- Sun Trust: www.suntrusteducation.com
- Union Federal Private Student Loan: www.ufpsl.com
- Wells Fargo: www.wellsfargo.com/student/school/selector
After you select your lender then you need to complete the following two steps to apply for a private loan:
- Apply online with your preferred lender. A credit check will be processed once the application is submitted.
- Complete your lender’s required Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Self-Certification Form. Both forms must be completed in order to receive any funding. Your lender will disclose to you the expected disbursement date(s) that the funds will be received at HBU.
After these two steps are completed, the lender will submit your approved loan to the Financial Aid Office for processing. Please allow 7-10 days for processing time.