Math Placement Tests: ALEKS
Houston Baptist University requires an ALEKS mathematics placement assessment to determine readiness for various lower-level math courses. The ALEKS Placement Assessment covers material from basic math through Pre-calculus and will take approximately 90 minutes to complete. After the assessment, a targeted Prep and Learning Module is available for you to review and learn material, and to improve placement and eventual course outcomes.
Important: Beginning in the Fall 2018, HBU will be charging a $11.50 proctoring fee to take the ALEKS Math Placement Test.
Please remember: HBU gives students the option of taking the ALEKS at home on the first attempt.
To take it from home you will need to:
- Access your HBU Portal (my.hbu.edu), or have access to your husky account (huskynet.hbu.edu)
- Once in Husky net, go to the Student Tab.
- At the very bottom of the Student tab there is an option to take the ALEKS Math Placement click on this link.
- Once you click on the link, there are going to be two things you need to take note: 1) Your first time pass word (You may want to write it down); and 2) a “HERE” link that will take you to the ALEKS.
- If you do not have access to your HBU portal, or Husky net, you will not be able to access the ALEKS. This issue can be addressed through the admissions department. If you lock yourself out of your account, you will need to contact IT (ext:3410) to get it unlocked.
- You have 3 Hours to complete the ALEKS.
- IMPORTANT: You must finish no less than 8 hours of learning modules to unlock your second test. If you do not, there is no way to open the test. You will know if the next test is unlocked if the lock icon on the “Start Exam” no longer appears over the link.
- Both the Testing and Math Departments strongly recommend completely as many of your learning modules as possible before attempting your next exam (see the ALEKS pie chart). This will help you perform better, and achieve the score you are desiring.
- Other than the first test, all ALEKS tests must be proctored at the HBU Testing Center Located in the Moody Library (Room 121). To register, you will need to go to hbu.edu/testing, and select Math Placement Tests. After this, you can select HBU students to start registering.
Note: Additional information and sign-up for exams at HBU.edu/testing. Please arrive at designated time to allow plenty of time for the exam and bring a photo ID.
- Closed Test Dates: Test dates are taken offline when all seats are filled or when the registration deadline (one day before the test) is past. See standby information below for further information
- There is no fee for taking a math placement test.
- Make sure you know your HuskyNet User ID Number (H#). It is required for registration. (I don’t know my HuskyNet User ID Number)
- You will be provided a computer for taking the assessment
- HBU ID or driver’s license is required for check in
- Cell phones must be turned completely OFF and left in designated area for prohibited items.
- No backpacks or purses are allowed and must be left in designated area for prohibited items
- Jackets and sweaters may not worn during testing, except for medical reasons
- No hats, scarves, hoodies or any head coverings allowed, except for religious reasons
- No cell phones, food or drink are allowed during the test session, except water in a clear bottle with label removed
- Rescheduling or Canceling – To reschedule or cancel a test, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Standby Testing – Those wishing to test on a date that is “offline” may be considered for testing on a “standby” basis at the discretion of the test administrator.
Testing Center is located in the Moody Library, 1st floor, Room 121
When you register for a test through Registration Blast, you will be able to select a date and time that the exam is offered.