College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) subject exams may be accepted in place of a course based on the acceptable score by the Institution. You may select a school to have your scores sent to at the time you take the test. Not all CLEP subject tests are accepted for credit at all universities, so check with your desired school prior to registering to insure you are taking the appropriate exam(s).
Notes from The College Board (CLEP)
From Sept. 1 to Sept 30, we are offering students $10.00 off the $80.00 exam fee for all CLEP exams. When checking out at the end of the exam registration with CLEP (not HBU) process, students should enter the promo code CLEPSEPT and $10.00 will be subtracted from the purchase of each exam. As always, registration tickets will be valid for 6 months after the purchase date.
New QuizUP CLEP Challenge Trivia Game Now Available.
We recently partnered with QuizUp, a free app, to offer the CLEP Challenge trivia game. The game includes questions inspired by 32 diverse CLEP exams. Students may be surprised to find that what they already know could earn them college credit.
REMINDER: Social Sciences and History Exam Changing on Sept. 18
Starting on Sept. 18, 2016 the content of the Social Sciences and History exam will be streamlined and will no longer cover anthropology, psychology, and sociology. No new topics will be added.
HBU CLEP Policy
HBU awards credit by examination as stated in the current year HBU Catalog. HBU students taking CLEP exams must obtain their advisor and appropriate dean approval to take each exam whether it is taken at HBU or another institution. Complete the “Request for Approval To Take CLEP Exam” Form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar PRIOR to registering for a CLEP exam. HBU students will not be able to receive credit for CLEP tests if they have over 63 credit hours. CLEP credit will be awarded in the same term in which the exam is taken.
Some of the CLEP tests offered by our testing center DO NOT receive credit at HBU. Be sure to check the HBU Catalog when you are an HBU student signing up for an exam.
CLEP subject exams are 90 minutes in length (College Composition is 120 minutes). Tutorials are available at the beginning of the exam and any time spent in tutorials does not count against the actual exam time. Visit CLEP website for exam descriptions.
HBU does not offer optional essays for any CLEP exams.
Unofficial CLEP results are available at the end of the test. Official scores will be sent by the College Board to the institution you indicate at the beginning of the test. Additional score reports or a CLEP transcript may be ordered from CLEP. Official scores for HBU students are sent to the office of the Dean who approved the test and to the Office of the Registrar. For questions concerning CLEP scores you may contact CLEP Program Direction at 800-257-9558
Retaking the CLEP
You must wait at least 3 months before retaking the CLEP exam. If you do not wait the 3 months your score will be considered invalid, your score will be cancelled, and any test fees will be forfeited.
Test Preparation Materials
Examinees may order the Official CLEP Study Guide or download subject study guides from the CLEP Collegeboard website. There are a limited number of CLEP Study Guides available for check out in Testing Services (for currently enrolled HBU students only), in the Moody Library 1st Floor Testing Office.
|Date of Exam||Time||Location|
|Sat. March 11, 2017||8:30 AM||Attwood II, Room 201|
|Wed. March 22, 2017||1:00 PM||Attwood II, Room 101|
|Sat. March 25, 2017||8:30 AM||Attwood II, Room 201|
|Wed. March 29, 2017||9:00 AM||Attwood II, Room 101|
|Wed. April 5, 2017||9:00 AM||Attwood II, Room 101|
|Sat. April 8, 2017||8:30 AM||Attwood II, Room 201|
|Wed. April 12, 2017||1:00 PM||Attwood II, Room 101|
|Wed. April 26, 2017||9:00 AM||Attwood II, Room 101|
|Sat. April 29, 2017||8:30 AM||Attwood II, Room 201|
|Wed. May 3, 2017||1:00 PM||Attwood II, Room 101|
|Sat. May 6, 2017||8:30 AM||Attwood II, Room 201|
|Wed. May 17, 2017||1:00 PM||Attwood II, Room 101|
|Sat. May 20, 2017||8:30 AM||Attwood II, Room 201|
|Wed. May 24, 2017||9:00 AM||Attwood II, Room 201|
Deadline to register: 2 days before exam.
Exams are 90 minutes (except College Composition is 120 minutes)
Check for additional dates to be added during the semester:
Closed test dates:
Once a test session has filled all seats or is past the registration deadline (1 week prior to test date), it will no longer be available for registration.
See standby information below.
Registration and Payment
- Register online now!
- Two Registrations and payments are required:
- CLEP: Follow instructions on clep.collegeboard.org/register/exam.
- HBU: $30.50 fee, paid at time of registration.
You are not registered until payment is made.
- Testing fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Students may register for up to 2 exams per test day.
- HBU offers no optional essays.
- HBU students are required to obtain appropriate approval by Dean (exam specific) and advisor prior to taking any CLEP exam whether it is taken at HBU or another institution.
Instructions for Test Day
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to exam start time for check-in.
- Testing Fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
- No one admitted after start of test.
- Non-expired, government issued photo ID is REQUIRED & CLEP registration form
- Be sure you have read and understand the Test Center Policies found on the HBU Testing website.
- Prohibited items in Testing Room: cell phones, all watches, recording devices; calculators, flash/thumb drives
- No food or drink are allowed; except water in a clear bottle with label removed
- A credit card payment to CLEP for $80 must be paid prior to test day.
- No one is allowed to test without appropriate identification.
If you are not sure if your identification is appropriate you can visit CLEP website or contact CLEP at 800-257-9558 or email@example.com. (Note: Photo copies are not acceptable. Credit cards may not serve as appropriate ID.)
All examinees testing at Houston Baptist University are responsible for knowing and following all the Testing Center Policies.
Reschedules – No reschedules are allowed, except with permission from Testing Center Director.
After a test session has closed registration, you may test on a “standby” basis. There are no guarantees that you will be allowed to test. At the discretion of the test administrator (consideration of factors such as available seats, time, other priorities), standbys may be allowed to test. Standbys must have the following in order to be considered for a seat:
- Sign in on the sign-in sheet when you arrive (first come basis).
- Appropriate payment (HBU payment should be check or money order only as a standby)
- Appropriate identification
- Be on time.
Testing with Accommodations
If accommodations are requested, follow this protocol:
PRIOR to registering for an exam:
- Read the information on the university academic accommodations web pages.
- Follow appropriate steps listed for receiving accommodations.
- Contact the Disability Services Coordinator via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- AFTER completing this process you may email email@example.com to indicate the test you wish to take and test date. Testing Services can instruct further about registration for your exam after receiving appropriate authorization letter from the HBU Disabilities Services Coordinator as well as your email request for accommodations for taking TEST on TEST DATE.
- All examinees requesting academic accommodations for testing must first go through the HBU Accommodations Office, even if they are not an HBU student.
- DO NOT REGISTER for your exam until you have confirmation from Testing Services to do so.