|Job Title:||University Minister|
|Reports To:||Associate Provost of Student Life|
The University Minister is a full-time, 12 month position within Student Life responsible for providing pastoral care and spiritual formation for students, faculty, and staff at HBU, as well as providing administrative leadership for the Spiritual Life department.
- Oversees the Spiritual Life Department including an administrative assistant, Associate University Minister, and student workers.
- Administrative duties include, but are not limited to, developing departmental policies and goals, hiring, training, assessment, budgeting, weekly staff meetings, goals and vision for the department.
- Coordinates the Community Life and Worship program which includes, but not limited to, CLW credits, Bible studies, small groups, Refuge Worship Band, and weekly Convocation.
- Directs the weekly Convocation (chapel) service on campus for the students, faculty, and staff, which includes being able to speak at Convocation, scheduling and hosting speakers, musicians, and mentoring a team of students who help execute the convocation programming.
- Serves as Chaplain to the faculty, staff and students by providing memorial services, Christmas and/or Thanksgiving services, special prayer services, hospital visits, and meeting spiritual needs through prayer and visitation.
- Participates in the life of the campus through partnering with university departments as needed and as the position requires.
- Has oversight of the Covenant Fellows Program, as well as other new initiatives to further engage and educate the next generation of Christian laymen and ministers/missionaries.
- Partner with the Director of Discipleship to develop a comprehensive Christian faith and spirituality developmental program.
- Responsible for building relationships with local, state, and national church and parachurch communities for the benefit of HBU students and ministry partnerships. This individual will be encouraged to also preach at local churches as much as possible.
- Other assignments, initiatives, and duties as assigned by the Associate Provost of Student Life
- At least a Master of Divinity or equivalent degree from an accredited theological seminary and at least five years prior experience in vocational ministry are required
- Must be able to completely affirm, uphold, and live within the Preamble of Houston Baptist University
- Have the ability to teach Bible studies, convocation, and other spiritual formation events as needed
- Have a deep understanding of Church history, theology, Christian missions, and student development needs
- Previous experience of ministry on a university campus or to college students required
- Work to further the university’s vision as stated in the “Ten Pillars”
- Be available for some night and weekend programming
- Exhibit an active Christian faith with local church membership and involvement
The University offers a comprehensive benefits program for full time staff, including full medical/dental coverage, paid retirement, life insurance and vacation. The University family shares an active Christian faith and as a staff member, the individual is expected to support and personify this belief and lifestyle.
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.