Men’s Assistant Basketball Coach
|Job Title:||Men’s Assistant Basketball Coach|
|Reports To:||Director of Athletics|
Responsible for assisting head coach with recruiting and teaching a team of student-athletes the skills of their sport; mentoring the athletes in academic and personal character development; and administrative responsibilities as assigned by the head coach, all within a Christian university environment.
- Serves as a representative of the University displaying courtesy, tact consideration, and discretion in all interactions with other members of the HBU community and with the public
- Assist head coach in planning and executing practice sessions
- Work with student-athletes in developing skills of basketball
- Assesses competitor performance
- Helps to formulate workout sessions and game plans
- Coordinates recruiting efforts which involves evaluating current and potential talent at high schools and junior colleges
- Mentors students on an individual basis and in groups in developing life-skills, character building activities, and modeling Christian values for students
- Operates within the rules as required by the conference and the NCAA
- Assists with the scheduling of opponents
- Arranges for equipment, uniforms and supplies to be available for team
- Plan and execute team travel with authority to commit expenditures up to departmental budget, subject to University purchasing guidelines.
- Organize official and unofficial visits
- Monitor academic progress of student-athletes and counsels with them about issues and progress relative to their coursework.
- Supervise team managers
- Assist in designing and monitoring strength and conditioning program
- Other duties as assigned
Directly supervises student-athletes and student workers. The nature of responsibility is immediate supervision and management over individuals within the department, in addition to providing work leadership.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree and one to two years prior coaching experience at the high school level, club level, or higher. College coaching experience preferred.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, REGISTRATIONS:
OTHER JOB-RELATED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the sport
- Knowledge of typical computer skills
- Ability to motivate and deal effectively with people
- Good communication skills
- Must be able to pass the NCAA recruiting test
- Able to generate enthusiasm and pride amongst players
- Ability to provide clear direction, delegate responsibility, motivate others, develop others’ skills and talents and attract and recruit talent.
- Shows consideration for others, listens effectively, cooperates well with others, establishes and maintains relationships, is adaptive, remains calm under stress and is persevering.
- Demonstrates good judgment, seeks all necessary information for problem solving, and sets clear objectives and priorities.
- Is self-reliant, decisive, proactive, influential, and enthusiastic and makes a positive impression on others.
While performing the essential duties of the job, the employee may occasionally work in outside weather conditions and be physically active. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
In exercising these functions the employee must be able to lift up to 25 lbs. occasionally and up to 10 lbs. regularly. The employee must be able to see objects up close.
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.