|Job Title:||Course Designer|
|Departments:||Pampell Online Division|
|Reports To:||Director of Curriculum Development|
The Course Designer manages the HBU online course/program through its life cycle and drives the activities associated with the development, evaluation, assessment, and internal operations of academic programs, courses, and/or product lines.
- Develops and monitors a work plan for curriculum development and maintenance projects. Manages activities of projects to ensure they progress on schedule and are completed by established deadlines.
- Evaluates materials to ensure conformance with established University policies, practices, and standards as well as instructional alignment and appropriate styles, standards, and specifications to achieve established program outcomes.
- Uses multiple measures of student learning outcomes to formulate recommendations for course and program improvement. Presents research findings and recommendations to the online division management as needed or requested.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of HBU curriculum, policies, practices, standards, and philosophy.
- Maintains a professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and pursuing related professional development opportunities.
- Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
- Bachelor’s degree from regionally accredited college or university and or equivalent relevant experience.
- At least one or more years’ experience writing/editing and developing instructional materials, e.g. curriculum design or instructional design
- At least three or more years’ experience aligning student learning outcomes with curriculum, course content, materials, and evaluation
- At least three or more years’ experience performing project management activities.
- Master’s degree in instructional design is preferred
- IT and Cyber experience preferred
- At least five years of experience performing in an instructional design role preferred
- Experience collaborating with subject matter experts and other stakeholders to develop curriculum is preferred.
- Experience creating assessments to support student learning outcomes preferred
- Possess an understanding of instructional design principles and experience with course design, development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Possess excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Possess the ability to effectively communicate and conduct data analysis, present research findings, projects, and recommendations
- Able to organize and independently manage various projects simultaneously
- Able to be results oriented
- Able to demonstrate a sufficient level of analytical and strategic thinking to plan and manage designated projects to ensure project progresses on schedule and within prescribed budget, as described above.
- Able to use data for program design and revision.
- Able to use personal software packages to perform word processing activities, as well as create and generate spreadsheets
- Must have good work ethic and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to operate office equipment (i.e., copiers, fax machines, etc)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills in dealing with large workloads
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately under tight deadlines
- Ability to quickly learn and use specific business software and hardware
- Ability to lift or move objects up to 25 lbs. – occasionally
- Ability to sit – frequently
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time – occasionally
- Ability to walk reasonable distances – occasionally
- Ability to bend or stoop – occasionally
- Ability to climb or reach overhead – occasionally
- Ability to communicate via speech, hearing and sight – frequently
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.