Director of Student Services
|Job Title:||Director of Student Services|
|Reports To:||Associate Provost for Student Life|
The Director of Student Services is a full-time, exempt, 12-month, professional member of the Student Life staff, reporting to the Associate Provost of Student Life.
- Oversee all student health and wellness services including the Student Health Clinic and Student Counseling Center.
- Keep detailed reports of usage of HBU’s Health and Counseling centers including billing, patients seen, assessment of experience, and other metrics of measurements.
- Serve as an Assistant Student Conduct Officer when cases are assigned by the Associate Provost of Student Life.
- Oversee, train and direct the Student Conduct Board, a group of students who hear specific student conduct and behavioral cases.
- Direct, train, and support student workers and other contract and/or professional staff at HBU.
- Partner with the Graduate School to be the Student Life liaison, planning and implementing engagement activities for graduate students in partnership with other areas of campus for the purpose of supporting the unique needs of graduate students.
- Oversee implementation of all aspects of student services from Student Life that are specifically aimed at support of on-line students.
- Oversee the Student Life orientation process for incoming graduate students.
- Train student leadership and faculty/staff concerning student development and engagement.
- Help facilitate parent involvement of commuter and transfer students through focused parent programming in conjunction with First-Year programs
- Develop orientation and on-going support for faculty/staff participation in Student Life events
- Regularly engage program assessment and strategic planning for continuous improvement within Student Life with specific focus on student engagement.
- Model the university’s core values of spiritual maturity, strength of character, moral virtue, life-long learning, and service to God and community
- Serve on university wide committees and action task forces
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree is required. A master’s degree in Student Development, Higher Education Administration, Counseling, Christian Education or closely related field is strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of “strengths” student success models required.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of student development theory and the role it has in promoting student success, growth, and engagement
- Demonstrate leadership in planning and implementing purposeful student retention and development
- Have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Work to further the university’s vision as stated in the “Ten Pillars”
- Be available for some night and weekend programming
- Exhibit an active Christian faith.
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.