Dean of the School of Christian Thought
|Job Title:||Dean of the School of Christian Thought|
|Departments:||School of Christian Thought|
The Dean is the chief academic, fiscal, and administrative officer of the School of Christian Thought and reports to the Provost. The Dean is expected to provide leadership and support for strategic planning, budget planning and development, program review and accreditation, faculty and staff development, advisory board initiatives, and community engagement. The Dean will guide the growth and shape the future of the School of Christian Thought by clearly articulating and exemplifying the Houston Baptist University vision, Ten Pillars: Faith & Reason in a Great City.
- Responsible for implementing the School of Christian Thought’s strategic plan and leading the School in the recruitment, retention and graduation of the students who are well-prepared for success in their professional careers or graduate school
- Responsible for providing leadership and counsel to the Directors of both the Houston Theological Seminary and the Center for Exploring Ministry Careers
- Responsible for operating as all faculty do, within the confessional parameters of the preamble of HBU
- Responsible for recruiting and supporting an outstanding faculty
- Responsible for efficient and effective administration and fiscal management of the School, working within the context of an approved budget
- Responsible for providing leadership for both University and School accreditation efforts
- Responsible for representing the School to the campus, external communities, and alumni, and will provide leadership in identifying, soliciting and securing external funds
- Responsible for taking the initiative to pursue new opportunities for the School, including the development of new degree programs
- Responsible for promoting a strong commitment to academic excellence
- Responsible for maintaining appreciation of the role of international programs and opportunities at both the undergraduate and graduate level
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining effective partnerships on behalf of the School of Christian Thought with leaders in the Houston business community as well as denominational entities including the Baptist General Convention of Texas and the Southern Baptist of Texas Convention.
- Responsible for service on the Theological Education Council of the Baptist General Convention of Texas and governance of the Ministry Financial Assistance program from the BGCT
- Responsible for maintaining the partnership agreements for off-site locations
- A terminal degree in Christianity or a related field
- A collegial administrative style that promotes a sense of academic respect and collaboration
- An appreciation and desire to promote both traditional and non-traditional models of learning
- Experience in program reviews, assessment and specialized accreditation
- Leadership experience and a demonstrated capacity for comprehensive vision, bold action, effective decision-making, and inspirational leadership
- Expertise in budget management and alignment of resource allocations with strategic planning
- Demonstrated effective communication skills and the ability to work with a broad range of constituencies, including: faculty, staff, students, administrative colleagues, parents, alumni, and the external community both locally and globally
- Unimpeachable ethics and integrity
- Bring a distinguished record of academic, business management, and entrepreneurial success as well as a record of scholarly achievement
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.