Creative/Media Relations Writer
|Job Title:||Creative/Media Relations Writer|
|Departments:||Innovation and Strategic Marketing|
|Reports To:||Vice President of Innovation and Strategic Marketing|
The Creative/Media Relations Writer is a full-time, nonexempt status position responsible for developing and writing feature articles for Pillars magazine, generating up to date news items for the HBU website, working with social media, and assisting university departments with proofing their website material. This position works closely with the VP of Innovation and Strategic Marketing in writing public relations material and news releases. The Creative/Media Relations Writer will assist in executing the HBU vision with the Vice President of Innovation and Strategic Marketing.
- Writes news and feature articles for Pillars magazine, including profiles of donors and alumni. Assists Innovation team in developing content and design concept; writing assignments; photography and art needs; etc.
- Prepares and disseminates news releases. Maintains an updated web presence.
- Performs other editorial assignments and projects, including internal and external communications pieces and website content, as assigned by VP of Innovation.
- Draft press releases and or edit submitted releases then post to News section of HBU home page and assist in distributing to relevant media via Meltwater Press online tool.
- Assists in creating visual pieces and informational brochures, as needed.
- Review and edit communication pieces created by Innovation and Strategic Marketing to specific departmental/organizational requests.
- Assists in posting daily updates to and maintaining the University’s official presence on all social media.
- Assists in writing and editing of Campus Connections.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, preferred.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Understanding of SEO/SEM
- Knowledge of Banner and Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Initiates and has the ability to work independently.
- Ability to research prospects.
- Organized, energetic, flexible, detail-oriented, and computer proficient.
- Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work. This may involve some lifting, carrying, moving, pushing and/or pulling of objects/materials of light weight (15‐20 pounds).
- Works occasional irregular hours, including some nights and weekends.
- Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.