Coordinator for New Student Orientation
|Job Title:||Coordinator for New Student Orientation|
|Reports To:||Director of Student Involvement|
The Coordinator for New Student Orientation will focus intentional effort on the social and spiritual integration of the incoming freshmen and transfer population into the larger HBU community. Purposeful attention will be paid to establishing relational connections between the incoming student and the faculty, staff, and student body with a shared commitment of nurturing, challenging, and discipling students toward the fulfillment of the HBU Mission.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of events and programming for incoming freshmen and transfer students including, but not limited to, Welcome Days, Welcome Week, and other new student initiatives.
- Establish communication strategies that will benefit all incoming students to ensure their success.
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Discipleship to develop discipleship opportunities specifically designed for incoming students.
- Intentionally connect and serve as a resource with incoming students prior to their matriculation into the university.
- Maintain assessment information related to this position.
- Recruit, hire, develop and disciple new student orientation leaders.
- Work with Director of Student Involvement and Coordinator for First and Second Year Programming in the ongoing supervision and development of student leaders through training and discipleship efforts.
- Plan and actively assist in planning and implementation of new student events such as Previews, GO Orientations, Odyssey events and others.
- Meet regularly with the Student Involvement team for program planning, assessment, and accountability.
- Partner with HBU Admissions in building relationships with incoming students and their families.
- Attend scheduled Student Engagement meetings, presenting pertinent agenda items and updating the team regarding the overall direction of new student orientations, outreach and discipleship.
- Meet on a regular basis with the Director for Student Involvement and Leadership Programs and the Director of Discipleship.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director for Student Involvement and Leadership Programs.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college is required. A Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Counseling or other related field is preferred.
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in higher education within student development, new student orientation leadership or related fields.
- A comprehensive and ongoing understanding of student involvement and the role student engagement and discipleship plays in student success.
- An understanding of how to manage auxiliary budgets to achieve desired results.
- The ability to manage change.
- Work to further the university’s vision as stated in the “Ten Pillars”
- Be available for some night and weekend programming
- Exhibit an active Christian faith.
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.