Associate Provost of E-Learning and Continuing Education
|Job Title:||Associate Provost of E-Learning and Continuing Education|
|Departments:||Office of the Provost|
|Reports To:||Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs|
The Associate Provost of E-Learning and Continuing Education is responsible for designing and planning strategies to help the institution develop actionable concepts, designs and plans that lead to high quality online learning; identifying and designing innovative solutions for expanding institutional presence through online learning programs; developing and delivering faculty training experiences that best prepare them for teaching online; enhancing the online educational effectiveness through an emphasis on addressing learning outcomes; helping the institution align online learning capabilities with mission and vision; and identifying opportunities for transforming the process and practice of the institution’s online learning initiative. The Associate Provost of E-Learning and Continuing Education is responsible for defining academic goals, collaborating with the VP of Online Education in developing financial and organizational models, and creating actionable strategies for successful implementation of online learning programs. The Associate Provost of E-Learning and Continuing Education provides both long-term and day-to-day management of the institution’s online programming, is responsible for ensuring the quality of online courses and programs offered by the institution, and for ensuring all accreditation and regulatory requirements for online learning are met. The director serves as the key point of contact for all institutional online programs.
- Provides leadership and oversight related to the execution of institutional projects touching online learning operations.
- Promotes and encourages the institution’s role in furthering online education and contributing to the community of practice for online learning.
- Works closely with the institution’s CIO and IT unit to ensure the successful, ongoing integration of online learning technologies with other institution-wide systems.
- Provides oversight and evaluation for personnel within the academic online learning unit.
- Collaborates with school/college online learning teams to support, develop and augment online efforts (as appropriate).
- Serves as a liaison to Innovation and Strategic Marketing Department to ensure the development and implementation of a productive marketing plan for online education.
- Makes recommendations for policies, process improvements, and changes in protocol to enhance the online learning services provided to the institution and external constituents.
- Serves as the primary liaison with third-party vendors for online course development, Learning Management System (LMS) support, and student support services.
- Serves on various committees in support of the institution’s mission and initiatives.
- Oversee online course review and program review processes.
- Provides strategically-focused leadership and support for online academic learning initiatives.
- Works closely with the institution’s Vice President of Financial Operations to regarding fiscal and budgetary matters.
- Provides guidance and leadership supporting SACSCOC accreditation, State Authorization, and Federal requirements when developing curriculum/programs for online and/or continuing education
- Work effectively with educators, consultants, business, and industry representatives.
- Assists in collecting and analyzing data on continuing education programs and on student characteristics and needs.
- Disseminates information to prospective students and representatives of business.
- Creates a comprehensive adult marketing, recruitment, and admission plan in coordination with the University Marketing.
- Develops communication plans to further support marketing and recruitment efforts for each program which clearly articulate the benefits of the program, engage students through multiple channels (print, media, social media, email, etc.) and maintain a relationship with the student from the point of expressed interest through enrollment.
- Develops partnerships internally and externally to create additional opportunities for the delivery of existing and new HBU programs.
- Develops a deep knowledge of the market for each program to offer reports and feedback on pricing, competitor programs strengths and enrollments, assessment of trends and bench marking.
- Demonstrates positive leadership and ability to create and execute plans which support robust enrollments of new and existing HBU programs.
- Recognizes and interprets the ever-changing trends in student interest.
- Supervises the development and management of relevant databases.
- Solicits, surveys and establishes focus groups to gain student feedback and refine programs.
- Evaluates the return on investment of individual efforts to assure financial and staff resources are efficiently and thoughtfully allocated.
Deans, Chairs and Faculty
- Meets regularly with deans, chairs and faculty to receive input on planning for online initiatives, and to maintain strong communication patterns.
- Works closely with deans and chairs to explore new online offerings.
- Oversees the development of comprehensive faculty programs that include LMS and other educational technology training, as well as pedagogical training as it relates to teaching and learning online.
- Advises deans and chairs regarding changes to curriculum and/or delivery schedules based on quality reviews/issues.
- Develops and implements communication plan for faculty and instructional designers to ensure consistent and open course development process.
- Works closely with faculty to determine new technology needs, and serves as liaison with the CIO and IT department to have needs considered.
- With instructional designers, develops and delivers student orientation packages that prepare students for online delivery (policies, procedures, guidelines).
- Tracks any student complaints regarding the online delivery of programs, and establishes policy with Associate Provost of Student Life to address non-academic concerns. Reports all academic concerns to Provost/VPAA.
- Coordinates with CIO and IT department to ensure appropriate usability and accessibility requirements are met on online learning informational website.
Bachelor’s degree required; master’s preferred. Seven years progressively responsible management experience required. Education beyond bachelor’s level may substitute for required experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Experience directly tied to distance and/or online learning implementation.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with Instructional Design.
- Supervisory experience
Terminal degree in Educational Leadership, Instructional Design or Technology, Educational Technology, Computer Science, Education or related field.
- Hands-on experience with online course development.
- Experience creating a strategic vision around educational technology.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Frequent speaker at state, regional and national conferences and events.
- Involvement in related professional organizations.
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.