Assistant Director/Lighting Designer, Morris Center
|Job Title:||Assistant Director/Lighting Designer, Morris Center|
|Departments:||University Events & Conferences|
|Reports To:||Technical Director, Morris Center|
The Assistant Director / Lighting Designer, Morris Center will assist in delivery and production of special events and University activities, primarily in the Morris Center but additionally in other venues as needed to best support the University’s vision and mission. This position will log / track operations related needs of the Morris Center and oversee all recording and editing done at both internal and external events. Additionally, the candidate must be able to serve as an effective spokesperson for the Christian identity and mission of the University.
- Provide a full range of AV technical duties, including but not be limited to, setup and operation of sound equipment, theatrical equipment, lighting, videotaping, LCD projection systems, equipment maintenance, as well as assisting in stage and campus setups, minor AV installations, repairs work, maintenance tasks, and set up AV equipment for daily and special events.
- Provide general site services including the housekeeping of work areas.
- Carry out other AV related duties when required.
- Ensure a safe & healthy working environment, and compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Present a professional image to visitors, and ensure excellence in customer service.
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Attends regularly scheduled Events Office meets.
- Assists with other duties as assigned.
- Create and maintain a database of Morris Center equipment, tracking its use as well as overseeing maintenance and repair as needed.
- Oversee the ordering and installation of all light bulbs within the Morris Center, including the Museums.
- Identify, assess, and improve on internal processes.
- Assess lighting needs for the client.
- Design lighting plans according to client specifications and assessment of the site itself and safety concerns including building codes.
- Ability to manage budget within financial constraints of the client.
- Responsible for much of the hands-on technical work – hanging instruments, programming the lighting console, etc.
- Basic understanding of electrical systems.
- Knowledgeable in ETC Unison Systems is a plus.
- Recruit and train student tech workers.
- Coordinate student tech worker schedules to assist in event production as well as weekly tasks.
- Oversee the operations tasks within the Morris Center provided by set-up services.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
Serve on campus committees as assigned.
- An undergraduate degree, in Theater or Mass Communications, Journalism or related field.
- Experience in any of the above listed fields is beneficial but not required.
- Working knowledge of all Theater, Audio/Visual hardware and terminology necessary to effectively perform duties as described.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends in addition to a standard work week.
- Must be able to walk about campus
- Lift equipment and materials up to 50 pounds
- Operate computer with Microsoft suite, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.