Assistant Director of Residence Life
|Job Title:||Assistant Director of Residence Life|
|Reports To:||Director of Residence Life|
The Assistant Director (AD) is a full-time, twelve month, live-in, professional member of the Student Life staff and will provide leadership to Houston Baptist University’s residential students by managing the daily operations of the residence halls while promoting the development of intentional communities and co-curricular residence life programming for undergraduate students.
Objective: Provide direct support, administration, and Facilities Management for Residence Life at Houston Baptist University
- Supervision of student leaders (RA staff) and part-time graduate assistants (RD staff)
- Respond to emergencies and crisis situations as part of the admin-on-call team
- Oversee all check-in/check-out and opening/closing procedures for assigned area
- Provide input and direction regarding policies, procedures, etc.
- Inform Director of Residence Life as incidents occur and provide the appropriate written (Incident Report)and verbal behavioral data relevant to administering guidance and discipline in response to these incidents
- Participate in the Admin on-call rotation as the schedule dictates
- Facilitate conduct meetings with students as delegated with the goal of educating students on positive choices and healthy lifestyles
- Assist with the planning of Fall Move-In and Orientation for residents
- Responsible to work with maintenance and custodial staff to ensure ongoing care of facilities and responsiveness to student requests
- Coordinate summer conferences and events as they relate to housing
- Coordinate regular courtesy checks in order to identify and resolve maintenance needs
- Responsible for knowledge and use of emergency alarm systems, emergency response preparation, and access control for Res Life areas
- Work with the events office to coordinate summer conferences and events
Objective: Provide assistance and support in the areas of Leadership Development and Supervision of Residence Life Staff
- Clearly communicate departmental and university-wide policies to students and staff
- When necessary, assist RA and RD staff with roommate/resident conflict resolution
- Assist with student conduct originating in the residence life area
- Plan and implement holistic programming that aligns with the goals of Residence Life
RL Staff Development
- Meet weekly with assigned RD staff
- Coordinate the interview and selection process for all student RA staff positions
- Work with the Res Life Administrative Assistant to hire office student workers
- Plan and implement RA staff training throughout the year
Objective: Provide direct university support through student interaction, mentoring, conduct, and crisis management
- Direct residence hall programming which reflects the philosophy of the University, Student Life, and the programming model for Residence Life
- Oversee all programming for Residence Life focused on the spiritual, relational, intellectual, physical, and stewardship areas
- Develop a familiarity with residents’ corporate and individual needs directly, or through the RAs
- Assess student programming needs via personal interaction, program feedback, surveys, etc. Facilitate the creation and implementation of a needs assessment survey and utilize the tabulated results to plan and coordinate activities based upon developmental program models. This should be done based on student population per hall.
- Ensure financial responsibility for programming budgets
- Advise and counsel students as requested or needed and make appropriate referrals
- Collaborate with other residence life areas and other campus programs
- Assist in fall and spring New Student Orientation, Welcome Days, and other campus visitation events
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Student Development, Higher Education Administration, or closely related field preferred
- Prior collegiate residence life work experience required
- Exhibit an active Christian faith and support the University’s “Ten Pillars” vision
- Have strong interpersonal and administrative skills
- Be available for some night and weekend programming and activities
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.