|Job Title:||Accountant II|
|Reports To:||Director of Accounting|
The Accountant position is responsible for performing a variety of general accounting support tasks in the accounting department.
- Ensure accurate and timely close process through preparation or review of monthly close schedules, journal entries, reconciliations, etc.
- Prepare, analyze and/or review various internal and external financial statements, reports, depreciation schedules, and variance analysis in accordance with GAAP, with a high level of accuracy while ensuring deadlines are met
- Assist in the coordination and completion of annual financial audits and preparation of audit schedules
- Prepare reconciliations as necessary to ensure the accuracy of the University’s books
- Prepare bank reconciliations on a monthly basis
- Develop and implement procedures by analyzing current processes and recommending changes; monitor the implementation and maintenance of internal control procedures
- Ensure financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures, including document storage for reports and working papers
- Apply project management skills including creating work plans, scheduling work to meet deadlines, obtaining documentation, preparing work papers, researching / resolving issues, liaising with external audit teams and especially communicating status of projects
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external clients
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related business field
- CPA desired
- Strong financial background including two or more years of work experience, preferably in a higher education institution
- Strong Excel skills including pivot tables, v-lookups, interest calculations, present value calculations and other advanced formulas
- Strong understanding of general ledger accounts
- Diligence and self-discipline to produce high-quality, well-documented work with minimal supervision and errors
- Solid analytical skills to resolve increasingly difficult accounting challenges
- Able to coordinate complex projects from start to finish and highly responsive and committed to results
- Flexibility to work additional hours as necessary
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.