Academic Technology Support Manager
|Job Title:||Academic Technology Support Manager|
|Departments:||Office of the Provost|
|Reports To:||Associate Provost for Online and Continuing Education|
The Academic Technology Support Manager provides services and resources to faculty, staff, and students that are using technology-enabled learning tools and environments. The position assists in the support of adopted technologies, including Blackboard. The position supports inventories and documentation for adopted instructional systems, tools, techniques, and policies. This manager is responsible for coordinating technical teams to configure and upgrade hardware in learning environments. S/he works closely with staff in IT to facilitate optimal service experiences with instructional technologies and in learning spaces. S/he works collaboratively with full-time and adjunct faculty of varying backgrounds and levels of academic technology proficiencies to design and develop instructional media pieces and other course elements for incorporation into classroom, hybrid and fully online courses. This position reports to the Associate Provost for Online and Continuing Education.
The Academic Support Manager is responsible for the development of policies, planning, management, and delivery of online technology. Responsibilities include advising and collaborating with faculty and academic units to plan, develop and coordinate courses and programs that employ various distance learning delivery strategies and online solutions.
- Work collaboratively with online partners (Learning House)
- Assist with the development and delivery of technology-related faculty development workshops
- Provide expertise in the appropriate pedagogical uses of technology
- Provide assistance to faculty in converting instructional materials from one delivery format to another
- Develop and present faculty and staff workshops for the university’s course management system (Blackboard), for IT supported applications and classroom technology.
- Conduct and present online and face-to-face resource materials for faculty; provides comprehensive support to faculty.
- Coordinate and monitor the course evaluations for all Blackboard courses
- Install, activate and manage Blackboard Building Blocks
- Provide orientations for online students and faculty
- Create periodic reports on relevant indicators for quality and effectiveness
- Develop indicators of success and quality (for example Quality Matters)
- Manage the Academic Technology budget
- Attend/participate annually in the Blackboard conference
- Collaborate regularly with HBU-IT
- Provide technology support for HBU off-site cohorts by visiting the off-site every term
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience integrating academic technology into teaching and learning in a higher education environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of multimedia instructional strategies
- Demonstrated success in consulting with full-time and adjunct faculty to encourage experimentation and integration of academic technology
- Strong project management skills
- Familiarity with various specialized, instructional software
- Demonstrated success in developing and conducting one-on-one and group training opportunities
- Ability to functionally supervise student employees
- A collegial administrative style that promotes a sense of academic respect and collaboration
- Unimpeachable ethics and integrity
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.