Academic Advisor and Advising Coordinator
|Job Title:||Academic Advisor and Advising Coordinator|
|Departments:||Academic Success Center|
|Reports To:||Director of Academic Success Center|
The Academic Advisor & Advising Coordinator is a full-time staff position in the Academic Success Center. This position will report directly to the Director of the Academic Success Center.
- Work as a member of the Academic Success Center to foster a culture of academic success across campus
- Coordinate advising training and resources including the Advising Manual, advising website, and Degree Works advising software
- Create additional training materials for advising that empowers advisors and students
- Partner with faculty and staff academic advisors to ensure that all assigned students complete all facets of advising and registration
- Help assess the culture and effectiveness of advising at HBU through focus groups and data
- Help plan and attend events related to advising including but not limited to Advising Luncheons and Pre-Advising events
- Serve as the Academic Advisor for a cohort of first-year students
- Meet at least once each semester with students to plan for the coming semester and to review/revise long range academic program schedules.
- Work with students to develop an educational plan with a clear pathway towards graduation
- Ensure that students develop an understanding of the University’s curriculum, structure, and policies that serve as a foundation for optimizing their time at HBU
- Follow-up with the advisee on any report of unsatisfactory work (including but not limited to class attendance and progress, with special attention to students on Academic Warning and Probation).
- Try to make informal out-of-class/office contacts to underscore personal interest in the student as an individual
- Inform and, if necessary, refer students to other institutional resources when academic, attitudinal, attendance, or other personal problems require intervention by other professionals
- Perform other duties as assigned by direct supervisor
- Commitment to the ministry and mission of Houston Baptist University
- Ability and willingness to disciple students and foster spiritual growth
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to communicate with students to set academic and personal goals
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- Direct past experience as an academic advisor
- Experience working with programs focused on increasing student success and retention
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate with multiple departments across campus
- Experience utilizing Degree Works or similar software
- Master’s degree in a related field
Houston Baptist University is committed to maintaining a teaching faculty and staff who share an active Christian faith. The Preamble to the By-Laws of the University sets forth a statement of belief which each University employee is expected to support and personify. Your submittal of an application for employment indicates your acceptance and affirmation of these statements.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of personnel.
Background checks are performed on every new hire. If your application is selected to continue with the interviewing process you will be required to submit a Background Check form. If you decline, your application may be denied. By proceeding with the online application you understand and accept this process.